How do I file to run for office?
The following steps should be taken to ensure your success in becoming a qualified candidate:
1. Visit our office to receive your candidate packet.
2. Select a campaign treasurer.
3. Set up a campaign account at the bank of your choice.
4. Complete form DS-DE 9 - State of Florida Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates.
5. Complete form DS-DE 84 - Statement of Candidate.
6. Execute the remaining forms in your candidate packet.
7. Attend a Candidate and Treasurer's training course.
8. Enter candidate information including photo and biographical information into our online candidate reporting system.
9. File Campaign Treasurer's Reports, as required. Refer to the Calendar of Reporting Dates for deadlines
10. If you are planning to qualify by petition, you may begin collecting signed petitions in your district after you have filed to run for office with the appropriate Filing Officer. Sample Petition and Petition Guidelines
11. You may bring petitions to our office for verification as you collect them.
12. Pay your qualifying fee if you are not qualifying by petition.
13. The week of qualifying, complete a form 1 or 6, depending on the office you are seeking. Select either Form 1 or Form 6.
14. Complete the appropriate Loyalty Oath:
If you need more information about qualifying fees or petition requirements, contact our Candidate Services Coordinator Caitlin Germaine by phone at 407-742-6113 or by email at Caitlin.Germaine@voteosceola.com.